About the school
St. Joseph’s English Medium School is a Co-Educational Secondary School institution affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on Provisional basis since 2002. The school was established in 2002 and was under the State board of education until 2010. The school is affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education from the year 2010. The school has been operating officially under the trust/society of St. Joseph’s Society, Kumhari.
The school is situated at a sprawling campus of 5.72 acres of land and has many modern facilities such as indoor games room, dance room, etc. The school is equipped with 14 class rooms and has classes from 1 to 8 standards.
“To knit humanity in Love”. We are dedicated to mould children into world citizens of tomorrow equipped with state of the art knowledge, Moral attributes, spiritual insights, dedication and Love for the human kind through application of latest educational tools & personality development programmes.
Our commitment has been to ensure the overall holistic development of our students in our efforts to impart the best education. We also provide equal importance to extracurricular activities like sports, physical education, self development etc. Striving towards excellence, we provide an environment that leads to wholesome unfolding of a student’s potentials.
“To Knit Humanity in Love”
The goal of Education is to teach the students to live, to discover the deeper meaning of life and of transcendence, to learn, to interact with others, love creation, think freely and critically, find fulfillment in work, plan their future and to learn to be. It is, in and through education that one can hope for a more human and humane future and a more harmonious society. (All India Catholic Education Policy 2007)
Therefore, we are committed
- To impart integral formation of the human persons, to build a society based on justice, peace and integrity of creation. Integral formation that includes the dimensions of faith and value formation
- To the task of enabling human persons of good character, competence, conscience, compassion and social commitment, who will then contribute to the evolution of a counter culture to the present ruthlessly competitive model by promoting collaboration and cooperation for the growth of all, in a climate of mutual trust and sharing.
- To empower the youth to contribute to nation building beyond the boundaries of castes, creed, class, gender and other cultural bondages/ prejudices.
- To be enriched by the Gospel values (Mt. 5) towards the educational empowerment of the poor, the disadvantaged and the marginalized who have been vulnerable to the historical and social conditions of dominations and discriminations.
- To impart quality education in terms of enhancing efficiency, skill development and just relationship.
History of the congregation
The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph was founded in le Puy en Velay, France, in 1650 by Jean Pierre Medaille in response to the situation of war, famine, social injustice, etc. It was one of the first juridical congregations of women recognized as a religious apostolic congregation by Msgr Henri de Maupas, Bishop of Le Puy en Velay.
While preaching in the central part of France, Father Médaille met “widows and young women” who did not feel attracted to the cloistered religious life but who wanted to consecrate themselves to God in service to the neighbor. They were:Françoise Eyraud, Claudia Chastel, Marguerite Burdier, Anna Vey, Anna Chaleyier and Anna Brun . Thus a new congregation was born.
The group increased rapidly and formed small communities living the spiritual and corporal works of mercy. They wore no distinctive garb.
The French Revolution (1789-1794) caused the Congregation to disband. Following the Revolution, a few communities regrouped and formed new congregations.
In 1808, Sister St. John Fontbonne was called by Cardinal Fesch to refound the congregation of Sisters of St. Joseph. She went to St. Etienne to accompany 12 women who wanted to become religious and formed them according to the spirituality of the original Sisters of St. Joseph. They were joined by a great number of other women, and soon communities multiplied and responded to various pressing needs causing Mother St. John to establish a Motherhouse in Lyon.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the laws of laicization in France and the requests for sisters received from different countries led to sisters being missioned to: Armenia, Belgium, Canada, Egypt, England, Greece, India, Ireland, Lebanon, Mexico, Switzerland, USA.
Renewed by the spirit of the Second Vatican Council (1962-65), the Sisters of St. Joseph of Lyon accepted the invitation to serve the Church in West Africa, and to this day, the Congregation remains open to future calls. In 1996, the Congregations of Sisters of St. Joseph of Bourg and of Bordeaux merged with the Lyon Congregation.